"We see the world through
a lens of our own brokenness,
which then distorts our
perception of reality causing
us to react to the stories
we tell ourselves rather
than the actual truth". 

Can I just say it? Life is hard. I think we can all agree with that. Today's culture sends us conflicting messages about what is important, what kind of job we should have, how much money we should earn, how we should look, and the list goes on and on.

It's confusing and just when we think we've reached the bar of worthiness, the standard changes and we are reminded that we can never live up to the expectations of society. In the eyes of the world, we are doomed for complete and utter failure from the moment we enter it.

Ugh! No wonder there is so much brokenness in the world! Material things have become more important than quality time connecting with our children, we are willing to compromise our core values to get that next promotion, we rate our success based on how much money is sitting in the bank, young women have exchanged their true identity for the pursuit of an image they saw on the cover of a magazine, and so on. Because ultimately in the midst of all the confusion, we've exchanged the truth for a lie and the sad reality is that most people don't even realize it.

God gifted me with the ability to see others as He sees them...as He sees me. And when I operate from within that giftedness, I am able to extend a love to people that's deeper than brokenness - an unconditional love that's based on their true identity. So when I think about the brokenness of the world, I can't help but be deeply saddened by its destructiveness. I can't help but feel compassion toward people because I know there is a bigger and deeper picture in every picture and there is a story behind every mask, behind every action, and behind every perception.

The reality is, we are all broken people and we are all impacted by the experiences of our lives - good and bad - and I am no exception. We see the world through a lens of our own brokenness, which then distorts our perception of reality causing us to react to the stories we tell ourselves rather than the actual truth.  That's why we all process things differently. This is essentially the birth place for misunderstandings, deteriorating family units, depression, the loss of friendships, the perpetual epidemic of a deteriorating loss of sense of self and worth, failed marriages, war, etc.

What would happen if we took a second look at every picture that we see? What would happen if we embraced brokenness with a sense of genuine, wholehearted compassion? What would happen if we acknowledge our own brokenness before we acknowledge others'? What would happen if we took the time to seek the truth before filling in the blanks to someone else's story? What would happen if we were slower to react, and quicker to extend love, encouragement, help, hope, forgiveness, and compassion? What would happen if others did the same for us? And what would happen if we did it for others regardless of if they do it for us?

Sometimes all it takes is for people to be seen, to be heard, to be understood. I know that's true for me. There was a time when I too felt I had nothing substantial to offer to the world. I was highly misunderstood. I was invisible. I was just a weird girl who grew up on a bus and knew nothing about the "real world". I remember the day when I was first seen. Someone else saw the story behind my mask. I know firsthand the impact that a small act of unmerited kindness, genuine selflessness, and simple intentionality can have on a life. It's those kinds of moments that have led me right here, in this moment in time, typing these words as I share the hope and peace that exists all around us when we remain still enough to experience it.

There is a paradigm shift that occurs when we embrace our true identity and we let go of our identity as the world sees us. When we do this, life is no longer about us. It clears up the ambiguity that results from countless perceptions all competing against each other, which essentially reduces the confusion that I talked about earlier.

Our focus changes because when we no longer view ourselves according to the worldly standard of acceptance, then we begin to see others differently too. We stop comparing them to that same standard. We stop comparing them to ourselves. We realize we are not the center of our own worlds.  When we accept our true identity and find a place of acceptance toward ourselves and for who we were uniquely created to be, then we also begin to accept others for who they were created to be. We begin to really see them, the same way I remember being seen. What a powerful cycle that would create...

And yes, this is all much easier said than done...but can you imagine what life would be like if we all experienced that same paradigm shift?

I would love to hear about your own personal experiences and struggles in life. We all have them. As I said, life is hard. But no one should do it alone.  Reach out. Be heard. Be seen...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Not About Me

Breaking Free

BREAKING NEWS: We Are All Dying